Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Years Fooey

At the beginning of a new year I think three things:

1. Thank GOD last year is over. I had some great times, but I need a new start.
2. Geez, last year was a total waste...whoops (insert awkward laugh)
3. This year has got to be different.

I think new years resolutions are a bunch of fooey, as my grandma Mathews would say.  I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ended up keeping my new years resolutions.  Or if I lost the 15 pounds I ended up gaining it by the time the end of the year rolled around.  I mostly don't keep resolutions because......... they are man made ideas of what I think I need to change in my life.  Meaning I never really consulted God on what I was suppose to get in order for the new year to be a successful one. I call that an, "Ahhhhhh.....crap" moment. An Ah crap moment is when you realized you messed up (or wasted an entire year). 

This week I felt God tapping on my heart, I felt God saying "new years resolutions" in a really haunting voice (totally kidding about the haunting voice, by the way).  I have this little routine where I ask God to speak to me! Then He normally tells me something that A. I was NOT prepared for, or B. something I didn't want to hear.  This was a "B case" and my response to the Lord about new years resolutions was, "They are dumb FOR so many reasons and I can never keep them so...... eh lets SKIP that" 

I thought about all the things that I didn't do last year that I should have done, things that God gently asked me to do, but I dropped the ball.

I thought about Project Viatu's capability to reach people around the world.  

I thought about these words an elder at my church "randomly" spoke to me, "You and your husbands ministry will be more than you have ever imagined."

Those moments, those little glimpses of encouragement from God are what keeps me straight.

So this year I asked God what needs to change in 2012.  Wanna hear some responses?

1.  Join a bible study. I've been praying about finding a bible study and last week I got a call from from a friend asking me to join her bible study.  

2.  Have a committed prayer life.  I am praying about two missions trips, to Kenya and India. I'm a little less willing to go, which has NEVER happened.  I'm the type of gal that is to SCREAMING to get on a plane anywhere to experience culture and life elsewhere- I love to travel and I want to spread the good news of Christ.   

And the things I desire to happen in my walk with Christ.

1. To be a light to those around me.  I prayed last Thursday, Lord help me to be your light.  Let me be an encourager to those that need You.  And on Friday I was in the Library at school, I felt like I need to get there early for some reason, and as I was sitting down to revise my paper I noticed this woman crying.  She told me her story, we prayed together, and I shared with her about Just Joy! Ministries .  And she is sending me a book called, 'Dream Giver.'  It was a very cool encounter. 

2. To hear Gods voice.  Saturday night before our open house party I prayed, "Lord let me be a witness to the people that come to our house warming party. I pray everyone would feel your presence as they walk through my doorstep." Lets just say, that prayer was answered in a way I didn't think possible :) 

3. My biggest prayer is that God transforms my attitude towards my husband.   I pray that God will help me to be a kind, loving woman who also shares Christs love to and through my relationship with Jordan.  I lack in the kindness department and that is a real work in progress.

Through all of that I feel God saying to just be with Him and everything else will fall into place.  

Hebrews 10:23


 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful



No comments:

Post a Comment